Sunday, October 10, 2010

War?

So for my English class, we have a theme of war... conflict... so, we're reading books on or taking place during war and writing papers about them.

So, the first one was a graphic novel, Persepolis, by this woman, Marjane Satrapi, who grew up in the days where is it was Iran and Iraq that dominated the news. Oh, did I mention, she grew up in Iran? Now she lives in France. Which is funny because in Iran, they had to wear a veil and in France women are not allowed to. I guess we know how she felt about the requirement.

Now, we've just finished up this book called, War Is A Force That Gives Us Meaning. The author, Chris Hedges, is a war correspondant. His work seems to obviously favor the place that wants to call itself Palenstine. Now stupid me, I mention that to my teacher after class. He gave me some statistics of how many deaths there have been. It was like 1300 versus 5. I thought, "great, we're winning." The professor likened the Israelis to a bully.

So, I was thinking about this since then and I've had some more thoughts. For example, maybe only 5 made the statistics, but what have all these othere Arab nations been doing to Jews? In Persepolis, there was one Jewish family she knew. They killed them. In fact, they did it on Shabbos. The fact is that the things that come out of the mouths of the rest of the middle east are this idea that Jews don't have the right to be there. The reality is that their ancesters killed someone to obtain that land from them. In the US, we slaughtered the Native Americans until they gave up this land to us. Then we were kind enough to make some reservations for them where they can sell cigarettes and gamble.

What are your thoughts on war? Do you think we could permanently eliminate war from the planet?  Do you think it's like a drug addiction?



No comments:

Post a Comment