Thursday, June 25, 2009

A convert throws in her two shekels on the overturning of conversions

Related links:
http://haemtza.blogspot.com/2009/06/oppressing-convert.html
http://www.thejewishweek.com/viewArticle/c40_a16169/News/Israel.html
http://www.alizahausman.net/2009/06/continuing-plight-of-converts.html

I'm torn on this issue. On one hand, as a sincere and observant gyoress, it scares me that someone maybe would accuse me of being insincere and poof, people would believe them because they were born Jewish and I wasn't. Also, I think the public hears this stuff and that's why sometimes they can be downright nasty and horrible to me and other gerim.

On the OTHER hand, I could say a thing or two about insincere converts. First off, it hurts me personally, because when the general Jewish public comes across insincere converts repeatedly, they are more apt to expect me to be insincere. Additionally, as someone who's been in the classes and spoken to prospective converts, I'm telling you there are insincere that get through. However, most of them are fooling the rabbis, so they have no idea what is going on.

My sponsoring rabbi told me with regards to the insincere converts that the rabbis know what they are doing. This is to say that the rabbis will figure out if they are insincere. However, I'm not so sure they do.

In closing, I want to tell you very clearly, who is sincere and who is not is NOT black and white or cut and dry. Sometimes, they are converting for marriage and they are serious. For example, one of my friends converted Reform, so she got on EHarmony, "I'm Jewish seeking Jewish." The guy she found on E-Harmony had a relative who knew her conversion was no good. She is just finishing up her Orthodox conversion. She, on the surface, seems to be a conversion for marriage, however, she was already attracted to the Jewish faith.

I think that Hashem brings those of us who are supposed to be Jewish into His world. I was interested in the Jewish religion when I started working for a Jewish man. I took this as a sign from Hashem.

In contrast, I have seen and heard things to make me think that some of the single girls who are converting NOT for marriage are just hoping to land a rich Jewish guy post-conversion.

I will blog this more after Shabbos. For now, I'm just going to put this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment