Monday, June 29, 2009

Michal responds to a comment

Anonymous commenter said:
In my expereinces reform and modox hashkafa are very similair and the only difference is that one applies more level of observance. Still though they have a warped sense of what it means to be a Jew and what Judaism teaches. The fact that they call themselves "modern" orthodox says everything. They are more modorn then orthodox. They put the goyisha "modern" society before "orthodox" Torah. Modox is just a lesser degree of comprimising Torah for western societies norms and values. Take Ivanka Trump for instance, she is converting modox and they have already set the date of her wedding. Funny it is only a year after she started her conversion. And do you really think that she is converting for the right reasons? I dont think so! You think she will know all the 613 mitzvot? I dont think so... You think she will have even a basic understanding? lol please! Rabbi Angel and Weiss who apply this new age " open orthodox" who are becoming pure apikorsis. They are all but in cherem by most Orthodox circles. But they have wealthy backers like TRUMP who spread their ideologies. Of course it doesnt surprise me that most converts want the easy road. But guess what the best things in this world with greatest reward are the things you have to work the hardest for... The greater effort and work the more your merit! a NY Jew



Michal Says:
Unfortunately, the Modern Orthodox in Manhattan has given Modern Orthodox a bad name. There are, however, people in Brooklyn and Queens who are what I consider a true Modern Orthodox Machmir. I consider myself a true Modern Orthodox Machmir. However, that's heavy on the machmir. Plus, I don't want to be yeshivish, as I take major issue with this kollel thing where the women support the men. On the other hand, I'm not Manhattan-style Orthodox, either. Additionally, what I hear is that it changes from shul to shul what kind of Orthodox people are in Manhattan.

I will admit that my experiences with KJ and KJ people have included a serious lack of tznius. The mentality there is that women have to go to shul and be on time. However, the women quite often don't cover their hair when married or dress within proper tznius guidelines. Some are not even close. When I visited, I felt that the bar was lowered in the name of kiruv.

I have also visited Riverdale and Avi Weiss' shul, HIR. I only visited once. However, it didn't seem as bad as the KJ community. I found women to be dressed more acceptably. They did have a woman carrying the Torah the week I was there. However, I don't know if they always do that. She was a kallah, so it was part of her simchah. Someone freely told me that a woman would have a pen on her at havdalah, as she is not observant. I don't know much about Rabbi Angel's shul. I do know a girl from there who just converted and she is not like the girls at KJ. She dresses tznius. She doesn't feel the desire to carry the Torah on Simchas Torah. She would rather watch the men.

No comments:

Post a Comment