Friday, January 15, 2010

The All-American Priorities

Well, that's the problem. In the All-American way of life, priorities and prioritizing what's most important is a no-no. Don't you know? You're supposed to believe that you can have it all.

For the woman, she must have a career and a family at the same time. No one is allowed to admit if they can't handle both. For All-American frum families, no one wants to admit that men should work instead of learn full time. No one wants to admit, that maybe, just maybe you can't afford camp or Pesach in Florida. People argue about how these are necessities in child rearing.

I grew up in a bubble where these things didn't phase my mother. I went to camp ONCE because my mother got me in on need type grant. Most summers, I was home, running around in the neighborhood to my various friends houses who were also home. Maybe it's because we all weren't Jewish. Maybe it's because I was too poor. I was happy and never felt like I was losing anything.

Let me ask those of you out there, what is so bad about saying, we can and can't afford this and that? I have time for this and that? This is most important, this is what I care about. I don't care about that as much as this.

I think if the rabbis should exhibit greatness, they should demand this of the Jewish Nation and those converting into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment