Monday, April 18, 2011

What in the world do you eat over Pesach?

Every year as Passover arrives there is much discussion on this topic. I mean it's EIGHT whole days!! People don't know what to do with themselves. Many buy all sorts of Passover substitutes for what they eat normally. Does it really need to be this difficult? I venture to say no.

Lately, I've been trying to eat healthier. Looking at the calories and nutrients in various grains like breads and pasta, I saw that grains don't give you such a fair shake. So, I cut back on them severly a couple months ago. Mostly, I eat fruits and peanuts for a snack. So, I will have to pick up some cashews or almonds. Then for dinner, I usually eat a piece of chicken and two or three veggies, very generous on the helpings of veggies. When I'm at school, I often get a tray of sushi and a can of pop for lunch but I won't be at school and even if I were the Hillelicious wouldn't be open.

Instead of going broke on Passover substitutes for junk food, I will be eating healthy food the way or close to the way Hashem made it this year.

4 comments:

  1. This is long winded:)

    I do eat kinyot (using completely separate pots, utensils), so my options are greatly expanded, but mostly I've been doing what you are doing. A nice salad with nuts and either (pick one :) deli meat, tuna or cheese is filling. Nuts and cheese are higher calorie, but good for a topping and filling if careful with portion control. Of course I can also add some beans and rice too.

    I'll be hosting for the last days, will be cooking more veggie dishes. First time hosting during Passover. I did pick up a few kp items, but mostly they were treats or things for hosts for the meals I was invited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hostess asked me if I eat chametz on Pesach. My jaw hit the floor I was like, "no, way!" she continued that she was asking because I told her I don't eat matzah. I don't really eat much in the way of grains anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. still long winded...ouch about the comment!

    I do enjoy a little bit more than the minimum at the seders. Don't really eat much more the rest of the days. except maybe a little bit with cheese (like a matzah cracker). Might make a dish with a little bit of matzah coating for the last days, I haven't planned it out. Other than that, I have extra on hand for guests, but I think I'll wind up with leftovers.

    For rest of year (some hold that it may be kinyot), quinoa is a good grain alternative. Has protein and very filling for the nutritional value.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, in all fairness the yontiff accomadations were made by a friend who is OTD. People assume you are just like the person who set up the accomodations most times, so I wasn't too offended.

    I know a friend of mind went to a family I knew and so they were thinking at first that she was a convert or in the process until she started in with the Hebrew and comments about growing up in Israel and stuff. I was told like this, "talking like she talks." I knew right away what the woman meant, but when I told the girl I had to explain it to her.

    ReplyDelete