Monday, November 16, 2009

Anonymous likes my post...

I just clicked off on this comment on the old post from when my host brought up Ivanka's conversion at the Shabbos table, "Excellent response Michal! Ivanka definately converted for marriage and didn't do it on a whim. Everyone conveniently forgets that Jared split with Ivanka for a few months precisely because she didn't want to convert. Ivanka only went through the "conversion" because it was quick, easy and of course to get married to Jared.

The way Ivanka dresses, presents herself convinces me that she's not serious about Judaism. I recently heard that Ivanka used Twitter on Shabbat. I'm not a Twitter user so I don't know it it's true but it wouldn't surprise me."

Unfortunately, I have to say that I've logged in to Facebook after a Shabbos or yontiff to see posts from people over 6 months into the process or even once, an FFB posted something in the middle of the day-she was not out of town, I casually verified.

7 comments:

  1. Regarding people who are still studying to convert is there any halachic problem with that? If anything that's a good thing given the opinion that there's actually a problem if someone who hasn't converted keeps Shabbat.

    A story related to that: I have a friend who converted. Before his conversion, when he started keeping Shabbat, he made a point to do a single malacha every Shabbat to make sure he wasn't a non-Jew keeping Shabbat. Then he decided a bit later to do a different malachah every Shabbat to work through all 39. However, he ended up converting before he got through them all (I suggested delaying so he could finish but apparently he decided that wasn't a good idea).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there are times when I've seen things on Facebook that have been posted on Shabbos from people who I thought were shomer Shabbos. Once I caught someone from LA online before Shabbos was over there. It kind of shocked me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,
    Yes, you are supposed to NOT keep Shabbos, but, you also have to practice so, farting around on Facebook when you're supposed to be close to conversion is not good. Certain baytai dayanim get would get fooled by these people's high amount of knowledge and maybe even convert them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. and they might keep keeping Shabbos in this manner... a person should be keeping kosher and "almost" Shabbos before conversion. We all do the one melacha thing. I used to tear something most weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so what if the way they broke Shabbat that Shabbat was by posting junk on Facebook? I mean that's a bit stupid but the main problem with it seems to me to be that posting on Facebook is probably at most only d'rabanan and not malachah d'reitah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Using electricity and writing words-no, it's for sure not ok on Shabbos. Anywho, using a computer is not good training for keeping Shabbos and if the baytai dayanim would ask these people what they do to break Shabbos...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not arguing that's it is ok on Shabbat. The point was that if we paskin that there is a need to do actual malachah on Shabbat then using a computer briefly wouldn't be ideal for the separate reason that it isn't assur d'reitah. It is clearly assur (at minimum by minhag klal yisrael and likely from a large number of rabbinic injunctions) but that might not be sufficient.

    ReplyDelete